Here's our article (in full), sharing 10 Tips on how to give your home a more Bohemian look, which had an excerpt featured in the Spring 2016 issue of USA Today HOME.
At Sormeh Lifestyle we believe that one’s house should evoke not simply a kind of style but a frame of mind. #Itsalifestyle is our slogan for this reason. Soulful and customized interiors are the heart of bohemian creation and a modernized ancient interior.
1. Mix and Play. All the fun is in mixing and matching. Whether that is with textures, highs and lows, or pieces of different periods… by doing so you are assured a look that is yours.
2. Unexpected Strokes. Gold and Silver are the perfect accent colors. Be rebellious and mix it up, no need to have to pick one over the other when you can use both!
3. Pop of color. Bohemian vibes don’t always need to include every color of the rainbow. Sometimes a pop of color is beyond enough. Toss a beautiful throw on a neutral couch to liven up the room.
4. A picture is worth 1000 words. Make your space personal and your own. Surround yourself in your memories, inspirations, and motivations. Don’t be afraid to skip the traditional frames and collage your images straight onto your walls. Photos allow the eye to travel into the soul of the residence and that helps create the warmth each room needs.
5. Candles. Experiment with different shapes, sizes, and heights. Mix vintage and modern candleholders. Candles add so much to the ambiance of a room, bringing in a hint of soft romance. Don’t be afraid of a little built up candle wax, it gives the illusion of a lived in space.
6. Rules are meant to be broken. Dare to be different. Use what you already have at home, but in an untraditional way. Who says an unused framed can’t double as a tray to hold all your kitchenware? Rules limit the creative soul… you would be surprised as to how many different ways there are to use something.
7. Undecorate. Allow your rooms to feel lived in. Allow them to have nostalgia. The point of undecorating is to be encouraged to actually use every piece within the home. Use books – old and new – on your coffee tables, encouraging yourself and your guests to flip through the pages and enjoy a moment of exploration. Leave your books open on a page as if a reader was recently there, traveling through its pages. A home should be intellectually satisfying as well as being a feast to the eyes.
8. Cabinets of curiosity. Create collections vs. clutter. Pick a few focal areas and create a collection of items you love, instead of spreading them throughout the house. This can be applied to books, pictures, art, china, travel mementos… anything!
9. Still life. Pile your fresh fruit or vegetables in your kitchen and let them create a scene any painter would be proud to paint. Use them as a centerpiece at your next dinner party. Budget friendly and beautiful!
10. Velvet. The choice of material you use plays an important role in each room. Velvet has long been referenced with luxury. The beauty of velvet is that the more it is used and worn the more beautiful it becomes. Velvet truly takes on a life of its own.