This past weekend was definitely one for the books. There is nothing I hate more than being stuck inside on a beautiful day. I love activities ( 90% healthy and good for the soul, the other 10% involving pizza) and quality time with my friends. So, this past weekend my best friend and I got the opportunity to go on a hike to Switzer Falls with our trainer, John Diaz. This has been something we have all talked about doing for a while and I was beyond excited to finally have a set date.
Switzer Falls definitely makes my daily hikes to Runyon Canyon feel like child's play. Our 5 mile (roundtrip) hike was to a beautiful waterfall, surrounded with the most stunning and luscious greenery. For a moment I actually forgot that I was still in Los Angeles.
Hiking has quickly become a workout that my body craves on a daily basis. It clears my mind, I focus on my breathing, and I get to take it all the beauty around me. Life in LA is so fast paced that sometimes we forget to just be; we become so caught up with the hustle and bustle that the simplicity of life and the beauty that surrounds us fades into the background.
While hiking Switzer, you are surrounded with wild blackberry bushes, remnants of an old paved road, and plenty of grounds to picnic on. This hike was not super strenuous for me. There is definitely a decent incline for half of the hike back, but there was never a point where I felt defeated or even severely challenged. I highly recommend this hike to people of all fitness levels and I think the next time that I do it I will pack a picnic lunch to enjoy at the bottom of the fall.
Switzer Truck Trail, Angeles National Forest, Tujunga, CA 91042
Don't forget to pick up an Adventure Pass before hand!